Thursday, January 13, 2011

Off to Vandy this morning...

How appropriate that my daily devotional, Jesus Calling, has these scriptures for January 13th:

1 Peter 2:21 "To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps."

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day the Lord has made: let us rejoice and be glad in it."

Gwen warned me that I would be calling her to tell her that this book was written just for me. Thanks Gwen, you were right!

As many of you know, in August of 2009 I underwent reconstructive surgery on my left foot. It was supposed to correct some problems I have dealt with my whole life. The surgery was extensive and included 3 bone grafts and 3 LARGE screws. For months after I was in pain still when I shouldn't have been. Last May my doctor ordered an MRI to see if there was something that wasn't showing up on x-ray. When I went back to see him in June, he gave me the news that felt like a bomb: one of the bone grafts didn't take and most likely I would need surgery again. At this point we had already passed court in Ethiopia and Rachel and Jordan were legally ours and we would be traveling to pick them up sometime in the next 2 months. You can imagine my thoughts...seriously God? The statistics said that this only happens in 5% of cases and of that 5% the risk factors were smoking and diabetes (I do/have neither). My doctor decided to try an ultrasound therapy with me for a couple of months in hoping that I would fall in the favorable 85% success rate this machine boasts. Once again the odds were not in my favor. I went back to see my doctor in September, one month after being home with our new kiddos, and got the news that yes, surgery was the only option. I decided that since I had dealt with the pain as long as I had, I could wait a little longer. I needed time to continue to bond and get through those first few months with our new children. I had already thought ahead to Thanksgiving and Christmas and wanted to make them extra special for their first ones home. My doctor agreed that we could put it off until January; after the holidays and after sport seasons are over for a few months for the kids.

So this morning I am off to the hospital. I have 2 friends on the anesthesia team who will be overseeing my care so I shouldn't be in any pain :-) My mom is here to take of the kids, who happen to be home again today for snow day #4. I will be on crutches for 6 weeks and may be on my back for the first 2 or more to control swelling. I think my husband needs more prayers than me as he will be shouldering the biggest load. He is amazing with the kids and I know they will be fine. I will just shout orders from the couch LOL!

I know my God is willing and able to supply all our needs in Christ Jesus! I don't know why God has called me to this, but I will rejoice in it anyway. I know that He is working this and ALL things to my good for HIS glory!

Enjoy the snow my TN friends and Have a great weekend....

No comments:

Post a Comment